In bed, on the train or under a beach umbrella, thanks to mobile, micro-moments can happen anywhere and anytime! To have your finger on the micro-moments’ pulse, you need to understand the intricacies. Google has compiled an in-depth report on mobile’s micro-moments, which we have summarised.
As the brand battleground intensifies, your ammunition is that potent device in your jacket pocket: your mobile. Seldom out of reach, many users regard it as a body appendage.
68% of users say they check their phone within 15 minutes of waking.
30% admit feeling anxious when their phone is not with them.
87% have their smartphones with them day and night.
KEY REPORT HIGHLIGHTS
- The New Battleground for Brands
- Being There in Micro-Moments, Especially on Mobile
- How to Beat Consumer Tune-Out with Useful Content
- Speed is Key: Optimize Your Mobile Experience
- Measuring Your Micro-Moment Strategy
THE MOMENTS THAT REALLY MATTER
There are many mobile micro- moments that are incidental to your brand. The user may be texting a spouse about dinner plans, arranging a lift club for their kids and replying yes to appointment reminder. Mundane, but important parts of a person’s life that you don’t want to interrupt. Or it’s, “Honey I forgot the kids but booked a great weekend away!”
But there are moments when the user is receptive to your message, and that’s what you need to tap into:
Intent + Context + Immediacy = Micro-Moments.
Google coined the phrase micro-moments to describe that moment when we turn to a device to take action. It could be anything from, I want to learn (that’s why I’m reading this article) to I want to buy.
82% of Smartphone users consult their phone before they purchase an article in a store.
91% turn to their phones in the middle of a task.
20% is the increased time users in the USA have spent on their mobiles in the last year (and chances are this will continue to rise).
18% is the decreased time spent on a particular site (blink and you’ve missed your chance to engage with the consumer).
Time to change Madonna’s lyrics to include, “Cause we are living in a Micro-Moment world!” As a business you have to be in the moment and the next moment, to earn your customer’s loyalty.
Be There: Anticipate micro-moments in your industry. For example see our article on Ramadan. (hyper link) You know it’s going to happen each year, so isn’t it time you were prepared?
Be Useful: Be relevant to your consumers’ needs. If they’re searching for a family venue to celebrate Xmas, Ramadan information will be of little use, and visa versa.
Be Quick: hold your breath, let it out, and your consumer has vanished. Give Vin Diesel a run for his money here; make the online experience fast (not furious).
These three principles are the cornerstone of mobile micro-moments and we will explore them in further depth.
Your mobile strategy is a vital part to your digital marketing and yet so many businesses ignore it! Dynamite comes in small packages, and you better believe that this applies to mobile. Don’t bank on brand loyalty as 90% of consumers are not certain which brand they’re after when they go online.
- 1 in 3 users purchased from a brand, other than the one that they had originally intended, because it offered the right info at the right time.
- You can increase brand awareness by 46% with a mobile ad.
- 51% of consumers discovered a new company by searching with their smartphones.
- Know and grow your share of intent (This is explained in detail in the report). Be there for all category-related micro-moments.
Consider both intent and content when deconstructing how you can truly be there for your customers. Do you have to tailor your approach around time, day, and the devise itself?
- What are the most searched for topics for your brand or category? If you enter these words will your brand appear?
- How much of the consumer share are you capturing on your mobile?
- Are you there for the full range of consumer needs? If not how are you going to adjust your category?
Beat consumer tune-out with useful content. Connect with people and provide them with information that they need! It matters to them and pays you!
- 51% of users bought from a company that they hadn’t initially intended to, because of relevant information.
- 73% said that regular information from an advertiser was
the most important attribute when searching for a brand.
- 69 % of users said that the quality and timing of a company’s message influences their perception of the brand.
- What do consumers want to learn about your product?
- Do consumers want to visit your business?
- What are consumers doing with your product or service and are you showing them how to do it?
- Where are consumers buying your product?
You snooze you lose! Mobile users want instant gratification. If you can’t pacify them instantly, they’ll throw their toys out the cot and look elsewhere.
- 60% of online users say that due to online research they make purchasing decisions quicker than they did a few years ago.
- 29% of online users will switch to another site if it doesn’t fulfil their needs: This may be because it takes too long or too many steps are needed to get to the desired result.
3 Ways to be quick:
- Eliminate Steps
- Anticipate Needs
- Load like lightning
- What is the key action you want users to take?
- What functions on your mobile site are essential?
- How long does it take for your site to load?
Be there, Be Useful, Be Quick Moments are further deconstructed in the Google article with fascinating insights into the following categories:
- I want to know
- I want to go
- I want to do
- I want to buy
CONNECT THE DOTS
Mobile is the artery to the heart of digital. It is the connective tissue; it is a life-force essential to the success of your business.
A mobile search results in the following behaviour:
- 57% of people are more likely to visit a store
- 40% more likely to make a phone call
- 51 % more likely to make a purchase
- 82% of people turn to a device to help them make a product decision
4 WAYS TO CONNECT THE DOTS BETWEEN SCREENS
So how do you marry mobile with desktop? Start by understanding that they are intrinsically linked.
- Look beyond mobile sites
- Account for multi-device behaviour
- Answer the call (mobile searches lead to 73 billion calls)
- Measure more than just App Installs
- How are you measuring your success digital clicks or profit?
- Are you accounting for all types of mobile driven conversions?
- Do your teams talk to each other?
GO BIG WITH MICRO-MOMENTS
Understanding the nuances of mobile’s micro-moments, connecting channels and joining the dots is essential to your business. If you don’t get a head start your competitors will. For an in-depth analysis and comprehensive understanding read Google’s full article here:
DOWNLOAD THE MICRO-MOMENTS: YOUR GUIDE TO WINNING THE SHIFT TO MOBILE
Simply fill in the form below, verify your email address and you'll be sent a link to download our free report.